Thursday, March 18, 2010

From Pagan to Christian


From Pagan to Christian

I grew up Pagan, a rare thing in this culture. I came to Christianity in Div. School, through the intense sexism in the Pagan community. At the time I was studying with both Starhawk and Z. Budapest, (no I was not a groupie of either, and I am sure neither remember me), was totally sick of the guys with horns at many Celtic events (there are other deities besides Cerrunos guys), and went to the Center for Women and Religion at the Graduate Theological Union in self-defense. There I met the most wonderful womyn/wommen/wimmin/women: MB, Paula, Kalli, Pat, Sandy - all committed to liberation theology. All welcoming me, crazy little Appalachian pagan girl.

My favorite memory at the Center for Women and Religion? (CWR) The first open house where women met to tell their religious stories. The many Christian women there told stories of how awful CWR would be, as told to them by their Christian classmates, due to the "rampant paganism" of the Center. I told my story, warned by the pagan community of the "dangerous Christians" at CWR, I had gone there totally frightened of what I might encounter. (Those scary feminist Christians!) The whole group of women, Christian, pagan, Wiccan, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish and Moslem, laughed that still every religion is afraid of WOMEN MEETING TOGETHER.

I started taking wonderful, intense, scholarly classes in liberation theology. I studied at the Jesuit School of Theology in Berkeley, the Pacific School of Religion, the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, and Starr King School for the Ministry. I taught classes at CWR. I wrote a master's thesis on soteriology. I was blessed beyond measure to receive two years worth of grants to study in the UK.

Today I attend a fabulous, social justice oriented Presbyterian church, committed to equality before God.

Now do I believe in that Presbyterian God? Hmmm, well since I wasn't reared Christian, I always say: Who cares? Let the Protestants worry about belief. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment